Import your vehicle to the Netherlands from a non-European Union location as part of your household goods.
Are you moving to the Netherlands soon?
It's good to know that it often pays off to bring your car, motorcycle, or camper with you. Many expatriates (expats) and repatriates are exempt from road tax (bpm) and import duties. This can save you thousands of euros compared to someone who doesn't have this relocation exemption.
Both importing and exporting vehicles as household goods within the EU are similar to regular import/export processes. The main difference is that importing as household goods can offer many financial benefits for you to take advantage of. Furthermore, there are adapted technical requirements for the admission of the motor vehicle as household goods compared to regular import/export. These requirements are often less strict, allowing you to continue enjoying the motor vehicle you're used to using abroad.
We are moving from America to the Netherlands. We used VDS to import our car. Importing cars is clearly VDS's specialty. Jomaro knows what he's doing, and their app keeps you constantly informed about the progress through email. Highly recommended without reservation.
Efficient and cost-effective
When you meet the requirements to qualify for an exemption - we offer two service packages. Will you opt for a single administrative handling, or do you want the import to be fully taken care of?
- RDW inspection & recycling contribution
- Handling bpm declaration
- Secure storage on premises
- Luxury license plates
- Exterior wash
- Access to personal online portal
Conditions for permit exemption BPM for moving from outside the EU
When you want to import your vehicle as moving goods, it is important to consider the legal conditions. You need to meet these conditions in order to benefit from the tax and import duties exemption. Additionally fewer technical requirements apply for vehicles imported as household effects.
- You are moving to the Netherlands from a country outside the European Union.
- Your residence is changing to the Netherlands (and thus the European Union).
- You have resided for a minimum of 12 consecutive months in a country outside the European Union.
- You have owned the vehicle for at least 6 months.
- You import the vehicle within 12 months after moving to the Netherlands.
- You do not lend, pawn, rent, or transfer the vehicle within 12 months from the date the goods are imported.
- This exemption does not apply to commercial vehicles.
To import household goods from the United States
Check out the story of moving back from the United States to the Netherlands and importing a Nissan Leaf.
Heeft u vragen of wilt u een advies op maat?
Arjan helpt u graag verder!
- Arjan Blommestein - Senior Import Specialist